Sunday 14 February 2010

Shed part 2 and a surprise


Thanks to a few days of sunshine and a balmy temperature of 5°C the shed is erected and sealed against damp. The next task is to restore the electric supply and the alarm then last but not least paint the concrete floor to seal it. Everyone who sees it has commented on just how sturdy it is, That it will need no maintenance and that it looks a lot better than even a brand new wooden hut. How long it will stay like that only time will tell.

Regular readers of this blog will remember that my Nephew was being tested for haemochromatosis. This has now been confirmed and he is being bled weekly to get his blood iron levels down to a normal value. The hospital looking after him sent a message to all his family telling us to get tested too. In my case this meant contacting my children and warning them about this condition and that I was being tested for it (I had my blood test earlier this week). Since the death of my son Thomas, I haven’t got on very well with my children so it was a bit daunting to have to try to get in touch. Eventually I found most of them on Facebook and sent them a message. To my surprise and delight I found myself chatting with my Grandson and one one of my Granddaughters. As my Granddaughter said “It’s a bit difficult to know what to talk about when you don’t know someone”. I have no idea what teenagers talk about or find interesting and they seem to be having a similar problem talking to me. I hope in time we will learn what we can talk about and start to share a bit of ourselves with each other.

I told my Sister about getting in touch with with my grandchildren and as she is on Facebook too she asked them to become her friends. Where that will lead to I have no idea but I do know that if this family gets much bigger we are going to need a full time secretary.

As many of you know, I have not been a great user of social networking sites. Many older people find them difficult to use and the language adopted by users sometimes unintelligible. This made it a bit pointless for me as most of my customers were elderly or small business people who didn’t have the time for networking outside their business. So all this chatting and messaging is a new experience and I am not at all sure how I will get on with it long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment