Saturday 5 June 2010

Update

I am extremely pleased to be able to report that my Wife is steadily getting better. She is coming home for the weekend and we are all thrilled to bits that she has made enough progress to make this possible.

A few weeks ago I told you I was trialing a new router the Billion Wireless N 3G ADSL router. It has enabled my network to run at a much higher speed which made streaming videos around the house a very simple operation. I am not as impressed with the Wireless coverage as it doesn't seem to have the power to get a good signal from my study on the ground floor to our bedroom upstairs. My previous router a Netgear DG834N used to be able to do this returning a signal strength of 65% or more. The Billion has never managed more than 40% so it is significantly inferior in WiFi performance. However it could be said that is offset by the gigabit speed of the cabled part of the network and the ability to switch from ADSL to 3G if the ADSL signal is interrupted. It depends how much you value your Internet connection and how critical it is that you are connected at high speed. If you are running a web server from a machine at your office or handle a significant number of web base transactions every day, then I could easily see how you could justify the expense of buying a router like this one. But I can't see how you could justify the cost if all you do is Browse the web, send and receive emails and take part in online chats and messaging.

Conclusion

This router is a good solution for a small business or home office that needs fast, always on access to the Internet and can justify the £150 + cost. It is not as good value for a house full of teenagers with laptops as its WiFi side isn't powerful enough compared to Netgear's N WiFi routers.

No comments:

Post a Comment