Wednesday 29 April 2009

Part 2 Complete

I have finished part 2 of my network rebuild. The FTP server is in the data case with the UPS and network switch. The router I have left in its place on the wall as it is Wi-Fi and covers the whole inside of the house. To cover the garden and workshop I have added a Wireless Access Point in a window overlooking the garden so I can take a laptop down to the workshop and Jackie can sit on the swing in the shade and do her comps. All that is left of part 2 to do now is to tidy up the cable runs around the room.

I did consider going wireless for my network but when I did a wireless network survey, I found 12 other networks 8 of which had no encryption at all. This is a lethal combination so instead I have plumped for a wired network in the office and lounge and a switchable Wi-Fi one for laptop use elsewhere. That way I have wireless switched off line unless someone is using a laptop. I have also renamed my network so it doesn't advertise it is mine at Omega Cottage (All the others in the area are the default ones that the router was set to - I will leave it to your imagination how easy they are to hack into).

I have also experimented with using the 240v mains to carry the lounge part of the network. It works just fine but I don't know how secure it is. I have looked on the web for any guidance but can only find speculation - not hard evidence. I will have to ask one of my neighbours if I can plug a module in and see if I can login from there.

The next stage in the rebuild was to be increasing the capacity of my FTP server to a 2 Tb Raid 1 Array. However my supplier is having problems getting new stock. I suspect that the item I want is now unobtainable and so I will have to ask for my money back.

1 comment: