Saturday 10 October 2009

Octreotide and a new lease of life

The first test with Octreotide was a complete flop - I was given 50 mg as a subcutaneous injection half an hour before breakfast and it made no difference at all, I still broke out in sweats, my BP went up and my heart rate increased. It was then suggested that we double the dose to 100mg and have the injection 1 hr before eating.

SUCCESS !!!!

For the first time in several years I was able to eat a full meal with no symptoms at all. We repeated the test at the next three meals each time giving me an injection an hour before eating. Each time I ate the meals with no distressing symptoms at all.

So I am now home again with a bucket full of syringes a fridge full of Octreotide and very sore fingers from all the BM tests. The plan is that over the next few weeks I will continue the injections at home and see if the improvement is sustained. If it is I will be reviewed in clinic and a long tern regime for these injections will be worked out.

Octreotide has two unfortunate side effects. the first is that it gives you very smelly wind. Even the cats were complaining last night. I am told this eases off in time as your body gets used to the drug. The second side effect is more serious as octreotide interferes with the action of diabetic medication like Metformin. My blood sugars have gone from their usual 7 to 8 (too high I know) to between 10 to 17. Short term I have been told to double the Metformin and check my bloods three times a day (Oh my sore fingers) Long term I have been referred to the diabtologists at LGI to see if I need additional medication or even need to move on to insulin injections.

Well that's it, I am home and maybe, just maybe, I can get back to being able to eat in public again and share a meal with friends and family. If that is so, it means I will get back some of what I had lost through dumping all this time. my only regret is that it has taken so long for the medics to try to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment